The State legislature has asked MRA to provide a list of top issues facing the retail business community as we continue to navigate the realities of COVID-19 and to prepare for the “next normal”. Thank you to everyone who has already shared your experiences and struggles with us.
We will be bringing the following topics to the table as we work directly with the legislature before the next Session. Please let us know if you are facing any additional hurdles that are not addressed below.
Credits and Grants
- Tax credit/waiver for businesses for the pandemic shut-down period
- Technology credit for businesses i.e. to support investment in contactless payment options
- PPE investment reimbursement
- Admissions and amusement tax waiver for small businesses
- General COVID-19 tax credit for businesses struggling with fixed costs
Business Operations Issues
- Landlord/tenant rent negotiation and regulation issues
- Traders licenses/property license fee waivers
- Subsidizing employee costs (more people required on payroll to clean, monitor store capacity, etc.)
- Unavoidable costs coming down the pipeline, including the impending increase to the Maryland minimum wage
Tax Free Week/Shop Small
- Extended or additional tax-free periods throughout the year
- Increasing the dollar amount limit for tax-free items, which is currently $100 for clothing and shoes and up to the first $40 for backpacks
- ‘Get Back to Work’ or other State-level Small Business campaign to promote shopping local
If you have questions, please contact Cailey Locklair at firstname.lastname@example.org.